Monday, April 27, 2015

Drop the S

I didn't do my homework...and so I had to go through and revise my blog to change a number of references.

In my blog entry (now PA + NPD = Toxic Parenting) I mentioned that PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome) was not recogonized by the APA and did not exist in the DSM-IV or DSM-5. Neither does Parental Alienation - without the "Syndrome" designation.

But when I did some further digging as to why Richard Gardner, the "author" of PAS was considered rather fringe in the psychiatric community, I had some interesting information forwarded to me by Mike Volpe.

I would recommend that all of you who are using the #PAS and identifying yourselves as victims shorten it to PA, Estrangement, or PT (for Pathological Triangle - as it is identified in the DSM-IV and DSM-5).

Read through the article: Overview of Dr. Richard Gardner's Opinions and scroll down to the bottom to find out how inappropriate many of his views on pedophilia actually are.

Alienation strategies and tactics do exist. There is no doubt about that and I have been subjected to some of the worst, as have many of you reading my entries.

Estrangement is used as a weapon by parents to "gain the upper hand" or "win" in Family Court with custody issues. Alienation techniques are used by CPS to fracture the bond between parents and children to fast track adoptions. These methods are encouraged by unscrupulous attorneys hoping to boost their "track record" in Family Court and secure more clients - sort of a warped pyramid scheme.

But you are known by the company you keep, and affiliating (unknowingly) with the junk science of a man who has less than desirable views on pedophilia damages credibility of a legitimate cause.

Lose the "S" - use Alienation or Estrangement, Pathological Triangle, but don't affiliate with a cause that defends the sexual abuse of children.

Stand up, speak out, educate yourself!

No comments: